This delicate, healthful main course uses simple ingredients. Any type of squid will work, and you can remove this skin if you prefer. The saffron rice adds a subtle, exotic quality to this bouquet of flavors.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 1 ½ hours
Total Time: 2 ½ - 3 hours
- Rice, 1 cup
- Water, 500 ml
- Vegetable stock - 1 cube
- Saffron threads - 1 pinch
- Whole tomatoes - 2 cans
- Large onion - quartered
- Large carrot - quartered
- Garlic - 4 cloves, peeled
- Squid - 4 medium
- Small red onion - ½, finely diced
- Chili flakes - 1 pinch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put water, stock cube and saffron in a glass jar with a tight lid. Place in the sun for 1-2 hours, shaking occasionally, until cube dissolves.
- While rice cooks, prepare sauce. Run tomatoes through a food mill or press through a sieve to remove skin and seeds.
- Place strained tomatoes into sauce pan with carrots, onion, and garlic.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When rice is infused, evenly distribute in GoSun tray. Slowly pour stock over rice and cook until rice is fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- Clean the squid, removing all innards from the mantle/tube. Separate the tentacles and set aside. Separate the wings and dice finely.
- In a medium bowl add 3/4 of the rice, red onion and the diced wings.
- Mix well to combine, adding salt, pepper and chili to taste (be mindful of the amount of salt added by the stock cube).
- Using a small spoon fill each clean squid tube with the rice mixture so that it is firm but not hard, about 80% full. The squid will shrink while cooking.
- Place the stuffed squid in the Go Sun tray and nestle the tentacles around them. Lightly cover with tomato sauce, adding just enough liquid to wet everything for cooking.
- Place GoSun Stove in cooking location and open and orient to the sun. Cook for 45-55 minutes in full sun.
- Serve with reserved veggies and remaining sauce.
MODIFICATIONS AND VARIATIONS
If you have leftover stuffing fry it for a few minutes in a hot pan to ensure that the raw diced squid is cooked before storing it in the fridge. Serve it at the same time or save for another meal.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.